Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the aftermath of the CIE election for me

Of course as Rohit said, the elections were a success and i enjoyed being a part of the whole procedure of electing our CIE Panchayat.But what followed on that fateful evening for me and for so many of other Delhiites, is nothing short of a mini tragedy.
The much needed rainstorm was followed by a series of mishaps on the roads of Delhi, especially central Delhi roads and key roads like Ring Road, ITO to name a few. I being a regular traveller on the Yellow line metro service, alight at Central Secretariat station and take a bus home. But on that unfortunate day(at least for me), due to the rains, the Raisina Road caved in,leaving a big gaping hole in between, and at the very place that is my bus stop. Imagine my plight when I saw the scene in front of me at 6.30 pm. For the first few seconds I was left stunned as to ascertaining my options of reaching home safely as all roads were blocked with the traffic barely moving. Added to this were the confusions of buses, vehicles and people. But I saw a small ray of hope when a lady standing next to me asked where I wanted to go and I learnt that our destinations were the same and her car was coming to pick her up and she had her 2 year old son with her. I thanked my stars as I thought that this was an end to my problems for the day. But fate had something else in store for me. I hopped on into the car with her and her friend who was driving the car told us that he would be taking the Shanti Path route to our homes as he also lived in the same area as us. So we set off(in what is to be called snail pace traffic,boohoo!!). After much cribbing and even more cranking up we finally entered Shanti Path. I looked at the time, it was 7pm. This was the beginning of our sojourn at that place for the next three and a half hours. The traffic barely moved. There were many horns honking, buses breaking down, cars hitting each other and their drivers getting out to have verbal fights and to cap everything the humidity filling up the air again after the rains. We thought that the situation was temporary and we would be out in some time. But this was not to happen. So we waited patiently for some more time. Eventually, our drinking water ran out and the little baby started to cry as there was no milk to feed him. Imagine our plight, especially the child's mother who could do absolutely nothing to pacify her child. Her friend who had an exceptionally helpful nature went in search of some shop where we could get something to eat and we were fortunate to find one. So he brought us a packet of biscuits from some roadside shop which was miraculous in that sort of a situation. So we kept ourselves busy for the time being trying to keep the baby from crying but to no avail.
Being at the back of Rashtrapati Bhavan(Shanti Path), there were security jammers placed,making it difficult for us to make or receive calls on our mobile phones. My family members were trying to reach me, but couldn't do so at once. It took them and me quite a while to contact one another. Somehow, we also got to know that Rahul Gandhi was also stuck in the same place as us( some consolation!!) The traffic kept crawling about an inch every 15 minutes, and finally we reached Teen Murti roundabout at 10.30pm and we were freeeee!!!hurray!!
After achieving our freedom our primary objective was to find some milk for the baby. So uncle stopped at the first milk kiosk he could find and bought flavoured milk, which thankfully the baby accepted immediately and after sometime, fell asleep. We were extremely happy at finally reaching our homes safely and a bond was formed between us.
So, this was the aftermath of the CIE election for me. Some might think that it was no big deal and I may have just made a mountain out of a molehill(some people have actually said this to me) But trust me, this was an experience that makes me ponder.. ''Are we really making progress or are we regressing in the name of development of our country??Where a rainstorm of an hour or two led to a chain reaction of so many mishaps that it has become a matter of shame even to mention them, what with trees getting uprooted and blocking the roads, pavements and roads caving in, traffic snarls, jams and a truckful of unending woes. Where are we actually headed??''
P.S. sorry if it's a little too long, but I felt the need to vent out my feelings on the current scenario!!
Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment